- 4 teaspoons of oil (20 ml)
- 1 to 2 cups of red beans
- (depending on whether you like a lot of beans or not)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 leek
- 2 cups of white rice
- 4 cups of water (960 ml)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- (add more if needed. Taste the water and see if it's salty enough.)
- 2Tablespoon of tomato paste (30 ml)
- Parsley and Thyme, take a few sprigs of each and tie together and put into water
In a 2 quart saucepan, heat oil, add red beans, tomato paste, and onion, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Pestle and mortar (or press) garlic and leek together with 1/2 tsp of salt, add to hot oil.Cook 1 minute more. Add 4 cups of water, rice, bouillon cube, and salt and bring to a boil. Add the rice and tomato paste. Bring to a full boil again and stir and cook for 5 minutes. Decrease heat so rice is just simmering, cover with tight lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Do not stir until the end of the process. Fluff rice with a fork. Serve covered with red Creole Chicken Sauce.
Recipe courtesy of God’s Littlest Angels.